Friday, June 6, 2008

Which one would you be?

This bloggie appears to be rapidly turning into a movie review site. But that's ok because seeing movies and writing about them for money would be an awesome gig and I think I will pretend that I am getting paid for this now. Ok, delusions aside...I want to talk about the Sex and the City movie. Which from now on I shall abbreviate SATC to save my fingers. When I first watched SATC I HATED it...HATED like I hate wheelie bags. I viewed it as some rich hoes running around Manhattan talking about clothes that not only were WAY too expensive, but were ugly as hell. I think I had seen half of an episode at that time and it was a Carrie heavy one...so I thought the fashion was the focus. I couldn't imagine how watching some chick shop wearing shoes that would cripple me had garnered these legions of women fans. I chalked it up to just another class I had missed in girl school and never watched another episode.

Fast forward a couple years and we have just moved to San Francisco. We are staying at my cousin's house. He has almost the whole run of SATC on DVD (I believe it might be a requirement for successful gay males) and I have nothing else to do. So I watch it. And I can't stop. I laugh and cry and sometimes, because they have done conversations so right, I get super uncomfortable and turn it off. But I always turn it back on in a few minutes. We leave, get our own place and live our life.

Fast forward again and I start watching episodes on TBS or something. Mike gets involved and he gets hooked too. And boy do people give him shit for it...but more on that later. So we end up watching the entire run again...minus some stuff that has to get bleeped or not shown at all.

Fast forward again (last time I swear) and the SATC movie is about to come out. Mike and I are super excited...the day comes and we go see it with some friends that are going to see Indy. I was nervous because of what I read from some critics. And....I must say.....it was....awesome. I LOVED it. It was like the series...I laughed, I cried, I cried more, then I laughed. It was one of the better movies I have seen this year. Don't smirk you bastards I'm serious. Now, I'm not sure if I would have liked it as much if I hadn't watched/liked the show. But I don't think they made it for those that don't watch the show. I wouldn't have. One of my favorite things about it was that it made no attempt to spend 2 hours of the movie "filling you in" on what went on for the last 7 years. I equate it to the Simpsons movie. It was pure fluff for those of us who are die hard fans and don't mind if a movie is just 4 episodes tied together.

While I was sitting in the theater I was thinking about why the formula just works so well. And I have come to the conclusion that it is because every person that watches it can take a little something that appeals to them away from it. I like watching it because I like to see 4 successful women have each others back no matter what. It is pretty hard for me to make friends that I trust and love and to be honest I have only had probably 3 in my entire 26 years. So to see friendship like that gives me hope that it can happen. Sure...it isn't real life and they might not be able to stand each other after the cameras stop rolling but who cares. It is fantasy-the best thing about movies! Others might like the clothes...if New York is considered the 5th girl the wardrobe is a close 6th. Others might like the lifestyle of one or all of the girls...the "which one are you" question always seems to come up among fans. Others might like the sex. It is unapologetically a main part of the show and I can say if I am going to see sex in a show...I like it presented a certain way and SATC knows how to do it.

Mike on the other hand has things a little rougher. He is a heterosexual male and therefore was supposed to be either "dragged" to see SATC or was supposed to go see Indy while I went. But here's the kicker...he loves SATC too! When we left the theater and met back up with our friends they were getting on his case for saying it was the best movie he has seen all year. It is truly stupid that he can get made fun of for liking a movie...but one of the best things about my husband is that he is VERY confident in his beliefs...especially when it comes to entertainment. He is fully secure to say "fuck you I liked it" and the fact that he does like it proves my point of why it succeeds. It isn't just a girl thing, he takes something away from it too. If I were I boy I think I would enjoy watching women who are sexy, funny, successful and caring. Why not? I enjoy watching movies about men who are those traits. I mean he has me but it's not like he can watch me ALL the time. :)

So all in all SATC is a really good movie and the critics that panned it probably were just unable to allow themselves to take something from it. Which is becoming more and more prevalent with critics ...but that is a WHOLE other bloggie.
So, which one are you?

No comments: