Monday, June 28, 2010

Mad about you!

My husband Mike has always been obsessed with the show Mad About You. I watched it for a few seasons while it was on and I thought it was funny but at the time I really didn't get it. It started when I was only 10 years old and I didn't really have the life experiences yet for it to be really funny to me. It was the same with Seinfield. Seinfield to an 11 year old - not funny to a 28 year old - fucking funny. So, my husband being obsessed with it as he is buying the seasons on DVD. We just started watching thru the 3rd season and I can't believe how true to life and relationships that show is. I swear to god sometimes it's like we could've written that show. It's kind of like the American version of the Office. That show is either funny to you or not. If it's not it's probably for two reasons : you ARE Michael Scott or you have WORKED for him. When those kind of parallels happen in your entertainment it usually hits an uncomfortable familiarity nerve. Many times I watch a show, start to chuckle, then be swept away into a PTSD memory of a similar situation so it's usually a "hahah...that's not funny"

Mad About You seems to somehow transcend that uncomfortableness (which appears to not be a word but who cares). It's so familiar that sometimes it's even more funny or touching or sad or angering. I swear to you there have been conversations in that show that I KNOW Mike and I have had if not word for word, pretty damn close to it. A lot of that show is based off of the fact that two people who at their core are total opposites come together to make this perfect team. They compliment each other like peanut butter and chocolate but understand that both are awesome by themselves. I feel that way about my husband and I. I know that Friday's post was cheerful (by this bloggie's standards) and I don't mean to sap it up here but let me explain what I'm talking about.

This morning Mike called me at work to chat about some stuff that happened and while on the phone and walking our pup he saw a manta ray in the channel by our apartment. And he was excited to see it...like it was a cool thing. Those of you who read this know of my disappointment with the people who I was with when I saw a ray in that channel and their complete lack of interest. See this: http://sureaboutthat.blogspot.com/2009/07/finedont-care-about-cool-stuffjerks.html for a refresher.
Hearing his excitement on the phone about the ray made me think about how like Jamie and Paul, Mike and I are a team. I'm the one that is nutshit crazy about ocean creatures but by him having an appropriate excited reaction to something like a ray gives me the warm fuzzies inside and makes me think that we truly are meant to be (insert Disney princess end credit song).
A. I love him
2. he loves me
That's all we need to know.

2 comments:

Isaac said...

WTF?! Who doesn't get piss-your-pants excited about seeing a manta ray? And furthermore, where is this channel you speak of?

Laura said...

Right?! that's what i'm saying! it's the channel behind us before you get to the park. It's so awesome...there are rays and sea lions and seals and crazy fish that jump out in the evenings...it's so awesome back there and all the yuppies by us don't even care. jerks